Frequently Asked Questions
Who can get fillers?
Most healthy, non-smokers are good candidates for dermal fillers.
What are the contraindications?
• Patients with a history of severe allergy or anaphylaxis, bleeding disorders, and hypersensitivity to one of the components in the product preparation should not receive dermal fillers.
• Dermal fillers should not be used in patients with a history of allergies to Gram-positive bacterial proteins or lidocaine.
• Product use at specific sites in which an active inflammatory process (skin eruptions such as cysts, pimples, rashes, or hives) or infection is present should be deferred until the underlying process has been controlled.
Is the procedure painful?
Prior to your injections, a topical numbing cream will be applied to the treatment area. Although some treatment areas tend to be more sensitive than others, most patients describe the procedure as very tolerable.
How long does the treatment take?
20-60 minutes, depending on number of treatment areas.
How long will the results last?
Typically, you can expect results of dermal fillers to last about 6-12 months or longer. Personal lifestyle choices, the continued aging of your face, variables in the absorption of fillers, and the type of filler used will affect how long your results last.
Who can safely administer this treatment?
Dermal fillers are considered a medical treatment in the state of Virginia. Therefore, only a Physician, PA, NP or RN (with proper supervision) should perform this procedure. In order to minimize the risk of potential complications, dermal fillers should only be administered by healthcare professionals who have appropriate training, experience, and knowledge of facial anatomy.
What are the Possible Side-Effects?
Complications from dermal fillers are uncommon. However, initial (temporary) side effects can include mild swelling, bruising, redness, and numbness. Potential risks vary depending on the specific filler used and the area treated, and include:
• Acne-like skin eruptions
• Bleeding from the injection site
• Infection at the injection site
• Skin rash/itching
• Skin redness
• Under or over-correction of wrinkles
Ready for your Riva Results? Call (757) 278-9888 to schedule your appointment.